Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Master Class - Kansas City Ballet

Today I got to take a master class with Mr. Peter Pawlyshyn of Kansas City Ballet.

I love new teachers whom I have never danced for before. There were some lovely combinations today. Though the class itself was a regular technique class, the wisdom and fresh eye of a teacher who has not seen me dance before really energizes me. I was pleased he used me as an example a couple of times on how to properly do certain barre work.

For a student (well, at least for me), the worst thing EVER is being in a class and knowing the instructor isn't paying attention to you. I love corrections more than praise because I know that the instructor believes I am worth correcting. Haha, though praise is nice too, it is not as necessary for me.

I learned several new things today, but the one lesson I will hold onto is this: In a technique class you think you are dancing for an hour and a half, but really you are not. At best, you dance for 20 minutes. This is because your teacher will instruct you; there are corrections; there are other dancers he also has to teach and correct. In the end, your time on the floor truly, truly dancing is only 20 minutes! Mr. Pawlyshyn told me to make the very most of that precious twenty minutes I have when I cross the floor.

As he pointed out, a standard variation is about 80 seconds long ... maybe 45 seconds if you are a male ballet dancer. Make those few moments count - whether you are on stage or in class.

I LOVE this! Whether or not his estimate is right (I think my actual dance time on the floor is more than 20 minutes, because there are many fewer students in my classes than at this master class... and Mr. Pawlyshyn really enjoys telling an awesome story while teaching, which not all teachers do), he does inspire me to dance every single step with everything I have.

As dancers our career (if we are lucky enough to have one) will last a short time. Every minute deserves our very, very best, and nothing less.



m

3 comments:

  1. What a great attitude! Every minute deserves our very best (true of dance, and life, I suspect!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. :) do every step to the maximum. live every moment to the maximum.



    xo
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely right. Full out. Always. One day you will be inspiring to others so you owe it to yourself to be 100% all the time.

    ReplyDelete

 
© Copyright Ballet Madeline 2010. All rights reserved

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker