Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Auditions

This week I had two auditions: one for the ballet company, and one for Les Sylphides, which is to be staged as part of a collaborative dance project. The company rehearses from 1 - 3 every Saturday afternoon.

So today my mom was told that I am selected for Les Sylphides and rehearsals will be - of course - on Saturday afternoons. :(

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a dilemma!

    Which do you want more? I hope the decision becomes easier for you to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah I know, Hannah. :(

    of course, the company is more important. The dance project is just one production in January (rehearsals start in September) training and performing as a junior trainee with the company is a much bigger deal and longer commitment. I just really want to do both since Les Sylphides is so beautiful. It is being staged by a choreographer who was once a dancer at American Ballet Theater. I have never worked with her before and really wanted to. Oh well, oh well... to everything there is a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is definately a reason you have to make this decision. ALl I can say is, take the one that you most feel is right now, because presumably doors will open for you that you just can't see right now, depending on which path you take.

    My favourite all time quote is : Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less travelled by. And that has made all the difference.

    I totally live by it and it's rewarded me every time - even if no-one else can see it. It's my life and this is yours - good luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Ms. Elise... and I am now a big fan of Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casting came out and several of my friends are principal soloists in Les Sylphides, and I am in the corps - not even a demi soloist. I am very very sad and don't want to do it at all.

    Sometimes dance itself has to be bigger than the dancer, but I am feeling very small and incapable right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Madeline, don't feel small, when one door closes, another opens. You certainly aren't a small dancer from what I can tell. Passion, as you reminded me, is so so important, and you clearly have enormous amounts of that.

    I have a friend, from Ballet, who was recently turned down for English Youth Ballet: her friend told her that NO-ONE gets turned down for EYB if they're any good. I repeated this to the class teacher, incredulously, and she said that a lot of it came down to how the girls looked and if they'd fit the costumes. I find that really difficult to swallow, but it's apparently true.

    My friend is about to set out auditioning for vocational colleges/sixth forms and is an amazing dancer - I can't believe they took some people over her, but if they hadn't made their decisions, she wouldn't now be pursuing the vocational route she is doing as it was only in 'failing' that she became more determined.

    A waffly tale, but I hope it helps a little. I know it must be really hard for you but keep up your spirits and graciously show your talent from the corp, if necessary.

    x

    ReplyDelete

 
© Copyright Ballet Madeline 2010. All rights reserved

Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Checker